Friday, February 4, 2011

The MVD

My license was suspended for three months. It doesn’t sound so bad when it’s in writing, but living it was hell. The first 30 days you cannot drive at all. I was one of the few who actually adhered to the restriction and took the bus to work and bummed rides from people when I could. I got a restricted license for the remainder and was at least able to drive to work and back without fear. It did curtail my social life tremendously. I did what I could, but it was challenging. They MVD informed me that before I could get my license reinstated I had to attend 8 hours of Traffic Survival School and get the ever-loving ignition interlock installed in my sleek precious car. When I went to the ignition interlock people, they said they technically couldn’t install the device until I had my license reinstated. But the MVD said I couldn’t have my license back until I had the device installed. This is known as a catch-22. This is also the type of retard logic I have had to deal with in all this. The ignition people went ahead and installed the stupid thing, and so I was able to get my license back. That made it easier for me to drive to JAIL and back!

The ignition interlock device (IID) is a contraption that attaches to your car battery and feeds a curly wire up under your dashboard and attaches to a block like device with a detachable mouthpiece. This device looks like an old school cell phone from 1985. The particular one I have you have to blow into for 4 seconds then hum into until it beeps at you to stop. It then measures the alcohol content in your breath and either lets you start the car or not. Mind you it ONLY measures alcohol, but people with a DUI from prescription drugs, marijuana, or just being tired still have to have the device installed. You pay the agency renting the device, tax is charged and payed back to the local government. See how that works? Once again, it's all a revenue stream.

In order to start the car, you blow. Then 5 minutes into your journey, you blow again while driving. Then it goes off demanding a blow randomly, but I have clocked it at 20 minutes tops. So about every 20 minutes of driving, you have to blow into it again. Makes for a very distracting and monotonous trip. Most everyone with the device agrees that it is an impairment in and of itself.

Next - Lower Buckeye Jail

No comments:

Post a Comment