Friday, February 4, 2011

Tent City Blues

So by the wee morning hours of Thursday, Jan 20, we were in the holding cells at what I later learned was Estrella Jail. We could hear Don King speaking very loudly that they were going to send her to Australia, but that was how she was interpreting Estrella. Well it would be fitting as Australia was once a penal colony.

They marched two more women in who were dressed up like they were just coming from work, and I mean work like in an office or something. They had just come from court where they were sent directly to jail for owing back child support. They were both wearing high heeled shoes and looked almost as tired as we were. They both had lost custody of one child to their ex-husbands and had to pay child support. They had both been laid off from their jobs and lacked the income to maintain the payments. At least that was the story. They seemed sincere enough. They had to stay in jail with work release (only one actually had a new job as a bartender, the other had a job interview later on Thursday) until they caught up with their child support.
We were herded into yet another cell, this one divided by a mesh fence and a bunch of stripes were in the mirror cell. I don't know what their status was; I think they were on their way out. Again, we waited and waited, this time the jocularity had been exhausted and we just wanted to lie down and get some sleep. Finally the guard came and told us when we hear our name to step out. All of us except Andie and Kate were called. We were told to line up behind the men two by two and were led out to the tents, at last! Funny, they shackled us when we were being led from the building right into a parked van, yet let us walk freely out in the wide open spaces. I still can't really figure that one out except the shackles are a dog and pony show to titillate Sheriff Joe. He probably plays with himself thinking about women in shackles. Men in shackles as well, I'm sure.
They led us into a fenced area, told us to strip to one layer and take off our shoes for a frisk session. This would be the drill every night as I came in from work. Then we went into Tent City proper to get our tent and bunk assignments. The officer came out and briefed us on the rules, then told us to hang out and she would come back with our ID cards and assignments. We were hoping that we would be in the same tent, but that didn't happen. I went with Jody and Dana, the two in for child custody troubles, and I think Pharmacist Jane went to another tent, then Jen, Anna, and Caryn went to a third tent. They gave us blankets, one threadbare sheet and a Pepto-Bismal pink towel. The blankets are heavy cotton blankets that do not keep you warm, if anything, they get cold as they are cotton. Jody, Dana, and I went to our tent and felt our way around until one other girl woke up and helped us find our beds with her flashlight. I was told that you weren't allowed a flashlight or alarm clock until your first 48 hours were done, but that is yet another inconsistent rule as others had this equipment. Of course Dana and Jody did not as they had come just from court.
I tried to settle in as best I could in pitch dark, I didn't even take off my shoes and did not really sleep at all as it was just too cold. The "mattress" is a thin plastic thing a little less comfortable than sleeping on dirt. I understand it isn't supposed to be the Four Seasons, but come on. My Thermarest is better. I often wonder if I will ever want to go camping again. The thought of a tent gives me PTSD.
During the night there were several bursts from the loudspeaker so it is impossible to sleep. This went on every night. I heard them call for Anna and Jane saying they were kicked out and to come back another time. I thought they were being let go on some technicality and they would have to come back and do it all over again. I wouldn't be surprised as the system is so horribly mean and cruel. Again, I know there needs to be consequences for a DUI, but we all had victimless crimes. I think the penalties for a first time offender on assault gets away with leaner punishment, I really do. I need to look it up.
Anyway, "Kicked Out" = good. It means release. The "Come back another time" was a sarcastic addition by the comedian detention officer.
I lay there waiting for the sun to come out so I could get up and go sit in it and maybe get some sleep. The place cleared out by mid-morning and there were only a few of us there. They rolled up the sides of the tent as is required so they can see what we're up to. I got up and went to freshen up at the spa. The spa being the open room toilets. Fortunately everyone in there is people like me and respectful so no one looks. The soap is like mini lava-soap, remember that? It's like its got pumice in it and that's all you have to wash your face with. They also provide maxi-pads (that have fiberglass in them), razors, toothpaste and toothbrush.
By the time I got out of the spa, it was "breakfast". The same thing they eventually gave us in the holding cells. Two bread rolls, a tub of peanut butter, two grapefruit (the ones that fall on the side of the highway along I-17, I'm sure) and a squished oatmeal cookie. Also, a couple of cartons of skim milk. I asked if the guard wouldn't mind fetching me a Starbucks, I don't think she really appreciated that. Tough shit, I need to be sarcastic. I invented sarcastic and those guards have no idea who they would be dealing with if I let lose. But, I don't want to be "rolled up". Rolled-up = bad. It means loss of work release, stripes and in with the Sodomites. No thanks. I learned to shut up and forgive them.
We got a preview of breakfast in the holding cells the day before when Marilyn, the pregnant girl, started feeling and looking very peckish. We hadn't been fed since induction (8am) and it was around 4 in the afternoon. We pounded on the door and pleaded with the Romans to give her something to eat, that she was pregnant and ready to keel over. So they tossed in a sack with the afore mentioned grub. She ate what she wanted and we cleaned up the rest. They gave us each a bag around 6:30 or 7pm, I can't remember.
I don't know what became of Marilyn. Anna and Jane were long gone, lucky them. I loafed around in the morning, walking the grounds and sitting in the sun as much as possible. I started talking to Dana who was in tears about her situation. She was getting out at 2pm to go to work. She said her ex wanted her to sign over full custody of their daughter so he could keep her from seeing her. I decided I had nothing to lose by doling out sage advice and I said, give him what he wants. It isn't doing her any good to keep getting harassed by him and thrown in jail. Her daughter was 13 and they would find a way to see each other. In the meantime, he would be off her back and she could work, earn money and spend it on her three other children. She wasn't being a bad mother by doing so. I told her that she wouldn't be any good to anyone until she started taking care of herself and stop letting her ass hole ex dominate her life. Now I don't really know the whole story of her, but I told her what I thought sounded wise from where I was standing. Anyway, she went off to work at 2pm and never came back. I don't know where she went or what happened. Jody, the other child custody case, disappeared earlier in the day when they called her for some medical thing and never came back.
During a bed check in the night a guard came in and said that the blankets in the top last bunk were up for grabs as the inmate that had that bunk (Jody) would not be coming back. My top bunk neighbor, Penny, asked the guard a couple of questions about whether they always turn the light on for a bed check and the guard answered her by telling her she would do best by keeping her eyes closed and her mouth shut. I thought that was rather rude and uncalled for, but that is what tiny little people these DO's are. I was told that the ones at Tent City were the lowest of the low as far as Maricopa County Detention Officers go. They aren't even allowed to have a gun. They are the dregs that couldn't make it anywhere else.
In the afternoon they called for "commissary" where you could go and buy snacks out of the vending machines. The vending machines are owned by Sheriff Joe's brother who makes a small fortune from them. Once again, incentive to have guests at the Dude Ranch. The machines are on the male side and the men have access to them whenever they want. They only allow women over there two times a day. The men are made to stay in their bunks while the women are there, or you know, a huge orgy might break out.

They don't serve lunch, so this was it, and why you need 5's, one's, or quarters. I had about $5 in quarters, and two tens. Caryn had one $20 and that wasn't going to do it. I thought she could break a ten easier so I gave her my two tens and she gave me the $20. That was the last Good Samaritan act I do. It was Lord of the Flies from there on out! I got a couple of things from the machines, which I loathed to do in that Sheriff Bozo probably shares the wealth the machines profit for his brother. But, you're between a rock and hard place at this point. I had to just think of myself and what I wanted.
When I came back from the vending machines I was walking by the picnic tables (in full sun, no shade anywhere) and spied 4 quarters on the ground! I scooped them up and they went right into my pocket. Yes, it's kill or be killed from here on out, I thought.
Friday morning I was waiting for with baited breath. I was going to get out for the day! A friend was coming to fetch me at the tents to drive me back to my car where I self-surrendered at the "LBJ" Lower Buckeye Jail. I got out right at 8 and didn't really know where to wait so I asked some others that were waiting there and they said, right there. When my friend didn't show up by 5 after I started getting worried that she couldn't find the place. I really wanted to get the hell out of there as I was going on day three in the same underwear. Yes, too much info, but I am being brutally honest about what this experience is like. I asked where someone would be coming from if they were coming down Gibson, and I was directed to Gibson lane. So I started walking thinking if something happened and she couldn't make it, at least I'd be walking to my car. I could do it; after all I am a hiker.
So there I was walking out of the jails amid the high chain link fences and razor wire, surrounded by ugliness. I had just been released on work release from Tent City where I would be spending the next 13 nights. I started mulling over where my life was at the moment and I though, I cannot possibly get any lower than this. I know things could be worse, but in relative perspective, for me, this is rock bottom. I started crying. When my friend finally did get there she apologized up and down, she had hit traffic everywhere, and I understood. I wasn't crying about that I was just crying over stress and horrible experience over the last couple of days. She brought me coffee, a banana, and an orange. She took me back to my car and we talked for a bit. I told her everything that happened up until then. I drove home, showered and went out to run a few errands, get gas, try to feel like normal again, at least for a little while. I remembered I told Caryn that I would call her brother to tell him that she needed fetching at TC rather than LBJ, so I did that. Then I lay down and slept in my own bed.
7pm came all too soon and I had to get headed out to make sure I was back in time. I wasn't sure how long it would take, so I left early. I got there about 8pm, waited until 8:15 and they let us in at 8:45. So I figured I had wiggle room. But as inconsistent as they are, who knows? I just didn't want to get "rolled up".

Next - Life on Work Release

No comments:

Post a Comment